Last week, Genevieve Brazelton of the Bitter Housewife, stopped by the creativeLIVE offices (my day job) for a great set of tutorials on making your own bitters and liquors. Below is one of the recipes she shared on-air!
Aromatic Bitters Recipe from Genevieve Brazelton
- 1 cup Wild Turkey 101
- 1/8 cup dried cherries
- 1/8 cup walnut pieces
- 1 inch sliced fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (approx. 3 inches long)
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seed scraped out (use both seeds and pod)
- 1⁄4 tsp whole allspice cracked
- 1/8 tsp whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp black peppercorns
- 3 whole cardamom pods cracked
- 1/8 tsp quassia chips
- 1/8 tsp gentian root
- 1⁄4 tsp black walnut leaf
- Add all ingredients (botanicals + booze) go in the jar and sit for 2 weeks. Shake occasionally.
- Strain solids from booze. Set booze aside in a sealed container. Simmer solids with 1⁄2 cup water for 10 minutes. Let water and solids sit together for 1 week.
- Strain and discard solids from water. Mix booze and water together. Add 1 tbsp rich syrup*. Let sit for 3 days.
- Filter bitters through cheesecloth. Use generously.
*Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water simmered until sugar is dissolved. Basic directions here.