After spending the last few weeks wondering what I’d do with the giant jar of blueberry simple syrup I whipped up when the berry season got a bit out of hand and inspiration struck finally. Gin Sour!
Sours were among my very favorite drinks after I first turned 21, although I leaned toward the embarrassingly florescent green Midori Sour before developing my more balanced palate. Sours are also a great balance to the sweetness of the blueberry syrup – or any berry syrup to be honest. Here’s what I whipped up:
The Blueberry Gin Sour
- 2 oz gin
- .75 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- .75 oz blueberry simple syrup (recipe)
- blueberries (garnish)
1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker over ice.
2. Shake and strain into an old-fashioned glass.
3. Garnish with blueberries.
Note: Bump up the simple syrup for a slightly less sour version that more closely resemebes the sours I’d have loved as a novice drinker.