It’s cherry time here in Northern California and I’ve been wanting to try my hand at brandied cherries for some time. The below is a spicy version based up the very fabulous Lu’s recipe (found via Imbibe magazine and also in the American Cocktail book by Sheri Giblin).
- 2 cups pitted cherries (we used sweet, sour would also work)
- 2 cups brandy (we like Korbel)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp allspice or baking spice blend
- 2 tsp lemon (fresh squeezed)
- 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- Add all ingredients except cherries and brandy, bring to rolling boil
- Reduce heat to medium and add cherries, simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Add brandy and let cool
- Transfer into glass jars, pouring liquid over cherries and reserving any excess liquid for cocktails, store in refrigerator
Makes 2 pints cherries and a half pint flavored brandy. Cherries can be eaten straight from the jar or for cocktails.