Every year when I was a kid in Detroit, my great-grandmother would create a giant batch of Tom & Jerry punch for the adults on Christmas and serve it in the most adorable punch set ever invented. When she passed away, my dad inherited the punch set and the Tom & Jerry recipe, which involves making a batter in advance. Since I’m rubbish at making cocktails in advance, I like this modified (simplified) version.
(makes 10 servings)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup brandy, warmed
- 1 cup dark rum, warmed
- 1/2 gallon of milk (or eggnog – see note below), warmed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Directions for Tom & Jerry Christmas punch
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Slowly add powdered sugar, beating with a whisk until the stiff peaks form. You can use a mixer if you’d prefer! (tips on beating egg whites)
- In a separate bowl, beat the yolks, vanilla and spices until combined. Carefully fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- To serve: place half a shot of brandy, half a shot of rum, and as much warm milk (or eggnog) into the mug as you like. Top with frothy egg batter.
- Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg
Note: I prefer eggnog over milk for it’s extra-tasty creaminess.