I’m a huge fan of all things DIY when it comes to cocktails. So when I saw a cocktail recipe that called for a blackberry shrub as one of the ingredients. I knew I had to try it. I bet this recipe would also be delicious with raspberries, strawberries or blueberries.
Blackberry Shrub Recipe
(prep time 30min – makes about 4 cups)
- 2 3/4 cups of blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of aged balsamic vinegar
- Put the blackberries and sugar to a medium saucepan.
- Mix and crush the berries with a muddler to release the juices.
- Add water and cook on low heat until the berries are soft (about 10 – 15 minutes). Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon and keep lightly mashing the berries each time you stir.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh basket strainer and return to the saucepan. You may discard the solids. Add the aged balsamic vinegar.
- Increase the heat to medium-low and bring the mixture to a slow boil.
- Take the mixture off of the heat and let cool. Transfer to a pitcher, bottle or jar.
- Chill shrub in the refrigerator before using. Once opened and used occasionally, shrub should last approx. 6-8 weeks.
Now, I’m off to dream up some cocktails to make with this delicious shrub!
(Note: I modified this recipe slightly from one provided to me by Crystal Head Vodka).