After mixing up the lavender simple syrup, it was time to find a recipe to test it out. Enter the High Violet, a tasty summer treat from Madison, Wisconsin’s craft cocktail bar, Merchant, which was featured in a recent issue of Imbibe magazine.
The resulting cocktail is highly sippable, light and floral. I ended up using a newly acquired bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon and as a special treat, finally found a great recipe to test out the fancy manuka doctor honey we got at last year’s Food Bloggers conference, which added a bit of lushness to the cocktail. Manuka Doctor Honey is 100% pure honey made by bees who have fed on New Zealand’s Manuka Flower. Don’t have fancy honey? Any kind will do.
- 2 oz Hudson Baby Bourbon (or your favorite Bourbon)
- 3/4 oz Lavender Simple Syrup (recipe here)
- 1/4 oz Manuka Doctor Honey
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 strawberries + optional for garnish
- Muddle strawberries in cocktail shaker
- Add honey, lemon juice, lavender simple syrup and bourbon, add ice and shake vigorously
- Double strain into a mason-style jar filled with ice. Double strain by using cocktail strainer and a fine mesh strainer or tea strainer, this will keep strawberry bits and ice chips out of your drink.
- Optional: Garnish with strawberry