Tonight, I’m going to see the new Hunger Games: Catching Fire and I’m so very excited! In honor of this film, I’ve collected a few cocktail recipes that require an extra SPARK to pull off. Presenting, three cocktails on fire.
Cocktail One: Lavender-Smoked Martini
recipe via the Measure and Stir blog
- 1.5 oz Lavender-infused gin
- .75 oz Dry Vermouth (Dolin)
- Dash of lemon juice
- Dash of simple syrup
- Stir together gin, vermouth, lemon juice and simple syrup in a shaker
- Light a teaspoon of lavender on fire
- Place a large glass over the smoldering flowers, so that it fills with smoke.
- Stir the drink and then strain it into the smoke-filled glass.
Cocktail Two: Flaming Corpse Reviver #2
our very own Geeks with Drinks recipe
- 3/4 ounce Hendrick’s gin
- 3/4 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce Cointreau
- 3/4 ounce Lillet Blanc
- 1 dash absinthe
- Cherries (optional garnish)
- Fire starter (kitchen torch, candle lighter, match)
- Fill shaker with ice
- Add gin, Cointreau, Lillet Blanc and lemon juice to the shaker and shake until chilled
- Coat a rocks glass with absinthe by swirling it around inside the glass
- Ignite absinthe using a kitchen torch (or try your handy candle lighter) or a match and after giving it a few seconds, add the drink to extinguish it (please don’t set yourself on fire).
- Garnish with a cherry if you desire (or 3 if you’re me) and sip!
Cocktail Three: Smoky Grove (flaming the orange twist)
Recipe via Kindred Cocktails
- 2 oz Scotch
- 1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth (we love Carpano Antica)
- 1⁄2 oz Dry vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 1 dash Orange bitters
- 1 twist Orange peel (flamed)
- Stir Scotch, both vermouths and bitters into mixing tin filled with ice
- Strain into coupe glass
- Flame orange peel over glass, garnish
Note: Great instructions on how to flame an orange peel via Serious Drinks.
And may the odds be ever in your favor!