Saw this fantastic story on Gawker earlier this week (thanks to Jen for catching it) about a man in New Zealand who had his eyesight taken and given back by alcohol, from Gawker:
65-year-old Denis Duthie, a Western Institute of Technology teacher from Taranaki was throwing back a few in honor of his parents’ 50th wedding anniversary, when his vision suddenly disappeared.
“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon,” Duthie told the New Zealand Herald.
Apparently mixing vodka and diabetes medication is a big no-no. After attempting to sleep it off, he went to the hospital where they recognized methanol poisoning, which is typically treated by applying ethanol, but then the bottle ran dry…
To prevent the methanol from further metabolizing into formaldehyde, doctors administered ethanol through Duthie’s gastro-intestinal tract, but there was only so much in stock.After the supply ran dry, a staff member was sent to a nearby liquor store to purchase a bottle of top-shelf whisky: Johnnie Walker Black.
It’s a Christmas Miracle!
One thought on “Last night a bartender saved my life”
Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
Please let me know where you got your design.