Tuesday night, Brad and I were lucky enough to attend a Camarena Tequila mixology class at AT&T Park, followed by a Giants game. San Francisco bartender and cocktail extraordinaire Duggan McDonnell. It was great to talk about tequila mixing beyond the classic margarita or tequila sunrise, especially this close to Cinco De Mayo!
We mixed up 3 different cocktails during the event, sampling the Camarena Silver Tequila and the Camarena Reposado Tequila. Both tequilas are 100% agave and 100% tasty. I’d like to share my favorite of the three drinks with you, the Diablo Splash Hit, which is sort of like a tequila-infused sangria. And if you float the wine on top just right, it creates a lovely layer of red on top.
Diablo Splash Hit Recipe
- 2 oz Camarena Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 heavy teaspoon agave nectar
- 2 oz ginger beer
- 1 oz California Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lemon slice for garnish
- Pour tequila, lime juice, agave nectar and ginger beer in a highball glass, in the order listed
- Stir ingredients together
- Add ice, then float 1 ounce of Cabernet Sauvignon on top
- Garnish with lemon slice