It’s been a busy summer here in the Geeks with Drinks household, Brad and I finally finished our new house renovation and were able to move into our amazing new place. Plus we both started new jobs at around the same time. Apparently we like to do everything at once! What with the unpacking at home and drinking from the fire hose at work, it’s left me with little time for blog fun.
I made this cocktail the other night and wanted to share the recipe with all of you. Summer strawberries are starting to really flourish here in California and this is simply perfect.
- 3-4 large fresh strawberries, stemmed and thinly sliced, plus 1 whole berry reserved as garnish
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 large sprig fresh basil, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 ounces chilled soda water
- In a shaker, muddle together strawberries, basil and simple syrup
- Fill the shaker with ice, vodka and lemon juice.
- Shake vigorously. Pour into a large, chilled glass, top with soda water. Stir.
- Optional: Garnish with a strawberry and/or fresh basil (for bonus points, sugar the rim!)
What’s your favorite summer cocktail?
Recipe based on Kathy Casey’s lovely Chronicle book Sips & Apps: Classic and Contemporary Recipes for Cocktails and Appetizers, 2009. Image via D Sharon Pruitt (Creative Commons)
One thought on “Summertime Cocktail Recipe: Strawberry Shag”